Compensation: $16 to $18 per hour DOE
Benefits: Medical, dental and vision insurance is free for employee only coverage!!
Since 1976, Capitol Hill Housing (CHH) has worked alongside the community to build and preserve housing affordable to working families and promote the qualities that make Seattle a vibrant and engaged city. Today, we provide secure, affordable homes to over 2,200 of our neighbors across the city while working to make our neighborhoods safer, healthier and more equitable. We are a top performing, high-capacity not-for-profit corporation with an innovative portfolio of 49 buildings throughout the Seattle area. Our buildings have won numerous awards from HUD, Urban Land Institute, Affordable Housing Finance Magazine, Future wise and other community development awards.
Capitol Hill Housing is looking for an entry level Maintenance Technician to work with our maintenance team and provide assistance in their normal work routine. The team performs maintenance activities to protect the physical integrity of our structures and property. Our Maintenance Technicians are provided with a service van, tools, and travel to CHH managed properties. The technician performs inspections, troubleshooting, purchasing of parts and materials. This position ensures that turnover of apartments and repair requests are completed in a timely and thorough manner. The Assistant Maintenance Technician will be expected to learn on the job, work towards becoming confident in the position, follow directions, and complete all required training.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Travel to properties and suppliers to complete repairs.
- Organize time efficiency, prioritize tasks, handling interruptions.
- Perform tasks in a self-directed manner with moderate supervision.
- Troubleshoot issues, plan repairs, and communicate required actions.
- Assure Safety Standards, guidelines, codes, and regulations are followed.
- Adhere to Seattle and Washington State Landlord Tenant law, Fair Housing, and ADA.
- Ensure timely turnover of vacant apartments.
- Assist with preventative maintenance tasks.
- Accurately report activities and supplies needed.
- Coordinate with staff and residents in the efficient and proper maintenance and repair of the buildings.
- Maintain professional appearance and comply with prescribed uniform.
- Maintain in good working order all CHH equipment, tools, motor vehicles(s), etc.
- Securely store tools, equipment, parts, and materials in designated area.
- Maintain all work areas in a clean and safe condition.
- Follow company policies and procedures.
- Notify Facilities Manager and/or Portfolio Manager of any unsafe or potentially unsafe or hazardous condition(s) immediately
- Take active role in your training and development needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 1 year experience working in one of the following; Apartment/Facilities Maintenance, in a related field making repairs, or training in construction, building maintenance, or installation of building components/fixtures.
- Ability to safely operate hand and power tools and other generally accepted maintenance equipment.
- Ability to work both independently and as a productive member of a team.
- Ability to keep accurate records and perform basic mathematical computations.
- Ability to follow instructions accurately and to problem solve effectively.
- Ability to master tasks after a brief period of instruction.
- Ability to work effectively with people of diverse personalities, cultures, and communication styles.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Valid Washington State driver license, clean driving record, and insurable.
- Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle including a service van.
- Ability to speak, read, and write standard business English.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Basic computer skills with MS Office are required; Excel, Word, Outlook.
- Experience and ability to perform one or more of the following; plumbing, electrical, carpentry, wall repair & painting, appliance repair.
- Training in lead based paint, asbestos, hazardous materials, MSDS, and PPE.
- Safety training in lifting, ladders, and power tools.
- Property management experience with Landlord Tenant laws and Fair Housing.
Work site may have stairs and no elevator. Working with power tools, use of and exposure to cleaning chemicals, solvents and paint, and other possible hazardous materials, performing physical duties in physical isolation from other staff can be potential hazards of the job. There may be other hazards. Employees are expected to perform their work in such a manner as to eliminate or reduce any potential hazards to an acceptable level. Employees are also expected to report actual or potential hazards to management and the Safety Committee.
Candidates selected for this position must pass a criminal history background check prior to employment with Capitol Hill Housing. Capitol Hill Housing is an Equal Opportunity Employer; all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
To learn more about our rich benefits package, please visit our website http://www.capitolhillhousing.org/about/benefits.php